Appropriate Body (AB)
Local Authority Appropriate Body Services
Previously, all schools are required to sign up with an Appropriate Body, which has the main quality assurance role within the induction process. The Appropriate Body is responsible for checking that headteachers/principals have put in place an induction programme for the ECT and ensuring that this programme of support is clearly based on the ECF.
Teach West London will work with the Local Authorities in Ealing, Harrow, Hillingdon and Hounslow who will continue to offer Appropriate Body services. Please use the following links to find out the costs of services and register:
New Induction Arrangements
As of September 2021, new induction arrangements came into force for Early Careers Teachers (ECTs) in line with the Early Careers Framework (ECF). The relevant guidance document is here.
Key changes to the previous guidance are as follows:
- The term 'Early Career Teacher' (ECT) replaces 'Newly Qualified Teacher' (NQT)
- The number of ad-hoc absences permitted has been extended, in line with the longer induction
- The induction period has increased to two years with a 10% timetable reduction in Yr 1 and a 5% reduction in Yr 2
- The Appropriate Body will check that the induction is underpinned by the ECF
- All ECTs must have a mentor who provides weekly training and support
- There will be two formal assessment points at the end of Yr 1 & 2 respectively. These will be supported by regular progress reviews in the other four terms where the formal assessments do not take place
- An ECT working part time may be assessed after two years if they can demonstrate that they have met the Teachers’ Standards as required.
Teach West London will support the Appropriate Body leads within each borough to ensure that the service delivers on its statutory requirements.
Schools who wish to register with Teach West London directly for Appropriate Body Services may register here.