Browse our FAQs

Alternatively you can view our digital prospectus below:

Or download it here:

Updated: 23/04/2024 7.48 MB


What qualification will I receive at the end of the training programme?

Our initial teacher training courses all lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Applicants can choose to also take the Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), which has 60 Master’s Level credits.

Can I take the PGCE without QTS and qualify to teach?

No. The PGCE does not qualify you to teach on its own, therefore you will need to complete this with QTS if you want to become a qualified teacher. The PGCE is an extra qualification, that is based on the theory of education.


How long does the training programme last?

1 academic year. All Teach West London’s ITT courses will begin in September and finish the following July ie September 2024 – July 2025.

Is the course full-time or part-time?

Teach West London offers full-time courses only.

What phases and subjects does Teach West London offer?

Dependent upon the local subject needs from our placement schools, Teach West London offers the following courses for Primary and Secondary:

  • Primary 511
  • Primary SEND (for those wanting to train in a Special School)
  • Secondary Art
  • Secondary Business Studies
  • Secondary Computing
  • Secondary Drama
  • Secondary English
  • Secondary Geography
  • Secondary History
  • Secondary Maths
  • Secondary MFL - French
  • Secondary MFL - German 
  • Secondary MFL - Spanish
  • Secondary Music
  • Secondary PE
  • Secondary PE with Ebacc
  • Secondary RE
  • Secondary Science - Biology
  • Secondary Science - Chemistry
  • Secondary Science - Physics
  • Secondary Social Science - Sociology
  • Secondary Social Science - Psychology

How is the course structured? What does it look like on a weekly basis?

QTS only - Throughout the year our trainee teachers will spend 4 days a week in school and 1 day a week engaging in professional learning with Teach West London, which will be based on Teach West London’s ITT curriculum.

QTS & PGCE – As above plus trainees who have opted to take the PGCE will be taught by ITT specialists from St Mary’s University for a total of 5 days.

Entry requirements

What qualifications do I need to apply?

By the time the course begins, you must have:

- a UK bachelor’s degree or equivalent UK ENIC (proof of certificates for the UK and international qualifications will be required alongside UK ENIC documents)

- GCSE’s grade 4/C or above in English language and Maths or equivalent (proof of certificates for the UK and international qualifications will be required alongside UK ENIC documents)

- GCSE grade 4/C or above in a Science subject for Primary applicants (proof of certificates for the UK and international qualifications will be required alongside UK ENIC documents)

Applicants who need to take a GCSE equivalence are advised to contact Teach West London to check if their chosen provider for an equivalence test will be accepted by Teach West London. Applicants are responsible for paying the equivalence test fees (approximately £150-£350 dependant on the test provider you choose).

My qualifications are not from the UK, can I still apply? Do I need to do anything before applying?

For international qualifications that relate to GCSEs (Maths and English Language and Science for Primary applicants) and undergraduate degree applicants will need to apply to UK ENIC Home Page ( to obtain a certificate of equivalence. Teach West London will check this equivalence against the regulations set by the government for entry onto an initial teacher training course. Applicants will be required to submit their original certificates for this. Applicants are responsible for paying the fees to gain an equivalence certificate.

I have not got an undergraduate degree. Can I still apply?

No, all applicants must hold a UK degree (or equivalent). Please note if you are currently studying towards an undergraduate degree, you must have completed the course prior to beginning the initial teacher training programme.

I do not have GCSEs, but I have level 2 functional skills, is this the same as a GCSE?

No, the breadth of study for functional skills is not the same as a GCSE. Applicants with functional skills will need to apply for an equivalence test.

Do I need to have experience of working in a UK school?

Experience of working in a school is not a mandatory requirement for joining our initial teacher training courses. However, school experience is desirable, especially for a salaried route. Before you apply, we recommend you gain as much experience in the classroom as possible, which will strengthen your application and prepare yourself for potential interviews as well as ensuring that teaching is the career that you want to pursue. To find out more about getting school experience, please visit Get school experience - Get school experience - GOV.UK (


How do I apply to Teach West London?

All applications for our initial teacher training courses must be submitted through DfE.  Apply for teacher training - GOV.UK ( cannot  submit a CV and letter to a school directly or to Teach West London for the courses, applications must be made through the proper channel via the GOV.UK link above.

Below is a step by step guide on how to apply for an initial teacher training course with Teach West London.

Updated: 31/10/2023 113 KB

I live outside of the UK. Can I still apply?

All applicants must have the right to work in the UK to be eligible to train with Teach West London. Some schools may be willing to sponsor applicants who are looking at applying for the salaried route in Physics, Maths or Computer Science. Applicants are advised to make a specific enquiry with Teach West London prior to applying by emailing [email protected]

I am having issues submitting my initial teacher training application via the GOV.UK (DfE Apply) website, what can I do?

Unfortunately, we are unable to help with technical issues with DfE Apply. Please contact the service directly on 0800 389 2500.

I have submitted my application, but I haven’t heard back from you. What should I do?

After you have applied, you will receive a welcome email from GOV.UK within 48 hours. We aim to respond to applicants within 25 working days of receiving your application. If we would like to invite you to an interview, it is likely that it will take place within these 25 working days.


Which school will I be placed in?

Teach West London will carefully co-ordinate the school placements by matching each applicant to a placement school. Shortlisted applicants will be asked if they have a preference to be placed in a particular school.

Which placement school can I train in?

Find out which Placement schools offer your chosen course/subject here.

Fees and payments

How much does it cost to train with Teach West London?

Teach West London course fees for QTS and QTS with PGCE will be published in late September 2023.

Will I get paid to train?

There are 2 routes for training to teach. The salaried route provides trainee teachers with a salary based on the unqualified teacher payscale and will involve teaching in the classroom from day one. (Schools will usually only offer a salaried route if there is a specific subject need and vacancy within their school). Unsalaried route trainee teachers will not be earning a salary and will have a gradual, more supported training experience, building up to a fuller timetable of teaching by the end of the year.

If you have any questions about pursuing a career in teaching or would like to know more about our programme, please register your interest to receive more details or email [email protected] or call Teach West London on 020 3301 3180.